Monday 19 May 2014

Why I love 100% text based sessions

Below is the last 15-25 mins or so of the last session of the Sunday D&D Next campaign in which I've been playing for the past 6 months or so.

This is a simple cut'n paste from our logs on roll20, without any edit but removal of players' names and addition of some coloring to ease the reading. I could have taken many other (both our Saturday's and Sunday's sessions are very heavy IC and RP stuff usually, most of the OOC is in combat), but this was a scene I really enjoyed, had a perfect pacing, and being able to re-read through it now is good fun :)

no idea who' the author of the image isI also find that it's a good example of why I love text over voice, despite typos and whatnot...Constant flow from all parties involved, no interruptions, no need to hold the "talk baton", which helps immensely in handling very tense and dynamic situations without everyone trying to out-shout others to explain what he's doing, or the GM requiring a complete freeze so that he can do an around the table check on PCs actions. 

On top of that, and this is just me personally, I immediately could conjure up images of the situation in my mind and really take over the role of my PC, something I never can do properly when voices are involved for some reason.

As a note, our tokens were just dropped on a map with the small council designed but we didn't really use it apart from knowing who was here.



GM (GM): Okay, everyone is in the room, and the party's plan is explained to Rodrik and his councilors,
Ragnar (OOC): ragnar see the point in Raln plan.. and as a friend he will follow him.. if he had been alone.. he would just fight till the end..
GM (GM): Rodrik looks lost in thought.
He speaks to the party, "So...you plan to leave and gather aid?"
Raln Miller makes sure his shield is visible as he stands tall
Raln Miller: Yes my lord, at least that is mine, I cannot speak for the others. Rallying support now is the only chance I see for the realm of man and we proved ourselves capable of this I believe.
GM (GM): He nods slowly, still seemingly ost in thought. "You understand the implications though...?"
Raln Miller nods
Raln Miller: I thought long and strong about this, for the past few days. There are things at stake here...bigger than just this city...
Astidios Argentus nods encouragingly at Raln.
GM (GM): He sighs, "You would open our borders to Geldorne...In earnest...I can't say I disapprove, but I was not ready for this yet..."
Ast, you hear shouting from in the hallway.
Raln Miller: The future, our future, can only matter as long as we survive the present...
GM (GM): The sounds of the guards arguing with someone.
Astidios Argentus frowns and looks at the door. He walks over and opens it, looking down the hallway.
Raln Miller: Care about the consequences of surviving the orcs invasion...after we survive.
My lord
GM (GM): He eyes Ralns sheild, Rodrik does.
"So you wish to be my man in truth?"
Raln Miller dropping to a knee
Raln Miller: Yes my lord, your heritage is known by all across the realm and it would be my honor.
Ragnar Kordfjord rolls his eyes
GM (GM): Ast, past the two guards, you see who they are trying to block. It is an older man, long bearded and white haired with a bat clinging to his robes. YOu have seen him before.
Raln (OOC): heritage? legacy?
whatever :)
GM (GM): Rodrik nods in determination. He pulls his sword from and tells you to kneel.
Raln Miller closes and kneels, head lowered
Astidios Argentus frowns as he sees the man. He doesn't say anything yet, as he's waiting for Lord Rodrik to finish with whatever he's doing. He closes the door quietly, but stands near it.
GM (GM): Rodrik speaks to Raln, "Do you pledge your loyalty to me and mine, swear obedience and freely give the oath of your sword and the swords of yours into my service?"
Raln Miller: I do
Nessarien Calenduin seems more interested in what Astidios is doing than in the ceremony.
GM (GM): He nods in finality, "Then I take you as my man. Hence for your obligations are to me and mine, and mine alone."
Raln Miller: Thank you my lord Rodrik.
GM (GM): Finally the old man pushes past the guards, who now seem frozen in place...
The man enters the room.
He glares at Raln, "Yes thank you "MY LORD' for making such another splendid puppet."
Ragnar Kordfjord: not that guy (as he sees the mad wizard enter the room)
Raln Miller eyes the old wizard angrily
Raln Miller: You!
Nessarien Calenduin: This should be interesting...
Raln Miller stands and stay near Rodrik
GM (GM): Rodrik glares, he speaks quietly to Raln..."We will discus your obligations at a later time..."
Raln Miller: As you command (goes and rejoin the others)
GM (GM): Malzar speaks to the party. "So, your plan is to settle some nice lands and haul crops to this windbags castle for the rest of your days?"
       Caligio barks a laugh, drinks his wine.
Nessarien Calenduin: I am no one's man. Just cause the human swore allegiance doesn't mean he has mine.
Raln Miller: What are you doing here mage? Keep your empty words and speak your piece, if you have one.
GM (GM): Malzar's eyes light with anger. "In case you forgot goodman Miller... you have prior obligations. Obligations to me! And this Plane! We have witnesses, Rodi heard all."
Raln Miller: There's an orc invasion army right outside fool! With a dragon!
GM (GM): He responds, "Ha...Dragons... I fought a dragon or two before, they get way too much credit if you ask me."
Raln (OOC): completely forgot wtf he wants btw, can't find it in my notes :)
Nessarien Calenduin (OOC): (To stop the cult of Asmodeus.)
GM (GM): "In any event, there are larger things at play right now."
Raln (OOC): wasn't there something more precise than that? That's a bit vague compared to a bloody army with dragons :)
GM (GM): "Too large to get tangled in this fools politics. Are you prepared to be a lap dog?"
Ragnar (OOC): he would contact us when he knew more
Raln Miller: Indeed, glad you came to some senses...can you help us?
GM (GM): Rodrik Shouts at Raln, "NO, he is NOT welcome here!"
Raln Miller: Watch your words mage, you might wield powerful magic, but a morning star probably can still hurt you. What do you want?
My lord?
Raln Miller puts his hand on his morning star, ready for anything
Raln Miller eyes the others, bit unsure of what to do
Astidios Argentus frowns and his hand shifts to his mace as well.
GM (GM): Malzar eyes the party, Raln in particular. "I came here to stop you from making a massive mistake....But it appears I am too late. YOu have gotten into bed with a viper. A gilded pig. It will bite you you know. As pigs tend to do. Or is it vipers?"
Nessarien Calenduin sighs.
Raln Miller: Watch..your..words...
Raln Miller eyes cold as ice now..
Ragnar Kordfjord: (sigh) If all you guys want is to fight each other I'm out of here.. we have enough problems with orc, dragons and cultist .. to fight each other too
Raln Miller eyes Rodrick, then Malzar, then the others..
GM (GM): "Anyway....I had a mysterious and ominous warning for you.. But I can't recall it..."
Malzar nods at Ragnar, "I always said he was the brains of this outfit."
Ragnar Kordfjord small smile
Nessarien Calenduin: Indeed.
GM (GM): Malzar speaks to Raln - "Well, I guess this will do... Leave Eastvale at your peril. There is much to do yet, and time away may not have the desired effect you hope for."
Raln Miller: We need to rally more support, troops from other cities, Geldorne...what are you talking about...
Ragnar Kordfjord: that guy never gives a straight answer (to himself)
GM (GM): He shrugs. "I have told what I can tell. You may be needed here in the coming days, and if you are not here, then things will play out different then I have seen."
"Just be ready for the outcome of your actions."
Raln Miller: What? Is that all you got? There are realities here, not...words and guesses!
GM (GM): He shrugs again, "Well, I have some research to continue. I will be in touch."
Raln Miller: Wait!
GM (GM): He nods at Raln, "Precisely! Now you are getting it."
Raln Miller looks puzzled, and tries to hold the mage's arm
GM (GM): He waits for a moment
Raln Miller: Tell us more, you can just..leave
GM (GM): Rodrik grits his teeth and holds his sword at the ready
Raln (OOC): can't*
Raln Miller eyes Rodrick
Raln Miller: My lord? You know this mage, can he be trusted?
GM (GM): Rodrik growls, "No...."
Raln Miller: (to Malzar) Then you stay here, and tell us all you know mage.
GM (GM): Issalla throws her hands up in frustration, "YES."
Raln Miller strengthen his grip on the mage's arm
GM (GM): Malzar looks darkly at Raln. "Am I mistaken or are you threatening me?"
Raln Miller: I...just...My lord? Issala?
Astidios Argentus frowns at Malzar.
Astidios Argentus: (to Malzar) You cannot expect us to act on your word alone, magus. We are simple folk with simple understandings of the world. You must give us concrete information if you wish us to act upon it.
Raln Miller nods heavily at Astidios
GM (GM): Rodrik draws more near sword held at the ready. "He is a dark hearted bastard."
Nessarien Calenduin: Enough of this. Let him go. What does it matter?!
Raln Miller: (to Nessarien) He knows something, why would he come otherwise? threatening us?
(to Rodrik) What should we do with him?
Nessarien Calenduin snorts.
Raln (OOC): as a note, constant ready action: mace to the face, if malzar does anything fancy
GM (GM): Malzar looks startled at Astidios. "A man of god, a man of thought?! The world is full of contradictions. I simply fear that you are entangling yourselves in a conflict that will pull you away from the true threat to the realm. The one I have enlisted your aid for. That is all."
Astidios Argentus: (to Malzar) And what, in exact and simple terms, do you believe we should do?
Raln Miller: (to Malzar) The orcs and their blasted stone are the real threat, not rumors of gods and whatnot from a crazy old man.
GM (GM): Rodrik Speaks to Raln, "He was a foll to come hear. To the dungeon with him, I say."
Raln Miller nods at Rodrick
Astidios Argentus raises his hands for peace to Rodrik and Raln.
Ragnar Kordfjord: let the poor man go... he might not be the most sane person in this room but.. he has kept his word so far.. and has come to warn us.. in however strange way.. but not atlease he has warn us.. now it's up to us to either act uppon it or not
Astidios Argentus: Wait, let us hear if he can tell us something useful.
Raln Miller: (to Malzar) You heard him (looks for guards)
(to Ragnar) Why is he not telling everything then?
Nessarien Calenduin: This is madness! I will not fight over an old grudge!
GM (GM): Malzar speaks with Astidios, "You should remain here! Defeat the Orcs if you must, But my warning is meant to aid. Leave this conflict at your own peril, and the peril of those you work with. I doubt there will be much left standing when you return."
Ragnar Kordfjord: I don't knw.. he is magician and not complety sane.. what do I know of magic and that sort.. maybe he can't maybe he won't ... the gods most know..
Astidios Argentus: (to Malzar) There is a horde out there! With a dragon! How do you expect us to defeat them? YOU solve that problem and we will do whatever you ask.
Raln Miller: (to Malzar) What hope is there against such an army, such power with their damn stone and dragons at their command?! This is why we need to rally support!
GM (GM): Malzar speaks, "I can show you if you like.... Give you a glimpse of the future..."
Raln Miller nods at Astidios
Astidios Argentus: No! No future. We are trying to discover the solution to the present problem. If you seek to solve the future then you must give us the answer to the current issue.
GM (GM): He responds to Astidios, "But that is what I mean!"
"Allow me to show you.."
Ragnar Kordfjord getting more and more confused by every word that is said
GM (GM): Rodrik shouts, "LOCK him away now!"
Raln Miller: (calling out calmly) Guards? Chains and manacle, and something to cover his mouth.
Astidios Argentus: We cannot see what you can see, and you have given us no reason to be motivated to solve your future problems. You must understand that unless you give us a reason to trust you and understand this issue then we will follow the directions of someone who can. (points at Rodrik)
Astidios Argentus shouts "No!" and stands between Malzar and the others.
Astidios Argentus: (to Rodrik and Raln) Let him show us. If it is not convincing then we can lock him away. Or try.
Raln (OOC): don't tell me he just tried to cast a spell
Ragnar Kordfjord: (snorts) Malzar has been more true to his word that him..
Raln Miller: (to Astidios) You, not me, he's not touching me. You can see anything you want however once he's restrained?
GM (GM): Malzar sighs. "I can tell you that the power of the Lode is far beyond the abilities of this Orc Chieftain. Any hold he has over Dragon kind will be weak and tenuous."
Raln Miller goes silent and listens now
Astidios Argentus: (to Malzar) That is lovely information, but still not helpful. There's still a horde between us and the chieftain.
GM (GM): "I can tell you that if you leave to get aid...Rodrik will be dead before you return. Perhaps your staying will not even stop his death. But leave and he will die."
Astidios Argentus: Careful, mage. That sounds like a threat and Raln here is getting twitchy.
Raln Miller: (to himself, loudly enough to be heard) But they already called a dragon...if they can't control it for long...
Astidios Argentus pauses and looks at Raln
GM (GM): Rodrik's face goes bright red and he shouts at the wizard, "I will SEE you DEAD for that threat you fool! The past will not stay my blade this time!"
Rodrik advances a bit.
Raln Miller hesitates for a moment, releasing his grip on the mage
Astidios Argentus: (to Raln) If they can't control it... then we need to get them to use it again.
Raln Miller: Lord rodrick..if the mage is true...we just need..maybe to hold long enough?
Astidios Argentus ignoring Rodrik, he turns back to Malzar
GM (GM): Malzar looks to Astidios, "May I?" he asks quietly.
Astidios Argentus considers for a moment, then nods to Malzar.
GM (GM): "I believe your friend is preparing to assault me..."
he nods toward Raln.
Raln (OOC): I calmed for now, hesiting
Raln Miller: (to Malzar) No..no tricks mage..
GM (GM): Rodrik continues on blade raised as Isalla tries to block his approach.
Raln Miller goes in between
Raln Miller: Lord Rodrik...
Astidios Argentus looks at Ragnar and then indicates Rodrik, hoping Ragnar will help Raln calm the lordling.
Ragnar Kordfjord steps in between the wizard and the lord
Ragnar Kordfjord shacking his head to Rodrik
Ragnar Kordfjord: not going to happen.. my.. lord
Raln Miller tries to get Calligio's attention and nods him over for some help or something
Raln Miller: (hesitating even more) Ragnar?
GM (GM): Malzar winks at Astidios.
Nessarien Calenduin stands to the side. Not getting involved.
Ragnar Kordfjord: no one is going to kill anyone in this room today, not on my watch...
GM (GM) : the wizard's eyes glow brightly as he shouts a deafening incantation. the world seems to slow, and time screeches to a grinding halt just as Rodrik begins to raise his sword.
GM (GM): And.... we have to stop!
Raln (OOC): nooooooooooo :)
drama!

2 comments:

  1. In the past I have been a strict text only online GM, but I have really enjoyed the added speed that comes from voice based gaming.

    Text only does make for much better session reports though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...yes....but no...

      Voice is indeed faster obviously, but from what I've experienced, there is too much wasted space overall. Text forces everyone to be more focused I feel, and there is barely any waste. Of course, what I consider waste is considered good fun by many others and almost expected during RPG sessions.

      On top of that, you can handle tons of simultaneous situations with text, since nobody needs to hold the "speech baton" to do something, while via voice, you need that "speech baton" to do anything, therefore while it's faster per action, you can do less actions overall.

      It's a bit like voice is turn based, text is real time...not sure if I'm making sense :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...